Wednesday, September 22, 2010

How Life Finds You

When is the last time you set some goals? Something tangible of course usually declared at the new year and if you check back this time of year see how you are doing.

Last Spring I took the 48 Days challenge by Dan Miller to determine my calling. In his book, 48 Days to the Work You Love he is tough and asks hard questions that most of us shrug off and try to avoid. What are your short term goals and then long term goals?

Statistically only 3% of Americans take the time to set goals. "Only about 8% of the general population can identify clear goals and only 3% ever actually write them down. These are specific goals, not just "I want a bigger house or nicer car" variety."

"Everyone has dreams, but only a few ever turn those into goals. The difference between a dream and a goal is that a goal is a dream with a timeframe of action attached." That hit home with me as I took major consideration to set some goals. Really just one goal isn't sufficient, we need to tap into more areas of life. Try these out and see how many you can set for yourself today.
-Financial
-Physical
-Personal Development
-Family
-Spiritual
-Social
-Career

"With definite goals you release your own power, and things start happening." Zig Ziglar

As I review my seven areas of goals I wrote down back in the Spring I can see how I have gravitated towards those quite directly. It amazed me how much my goals for a career now that I am unemployed surfaced in those areas of goal setting.

God gives us a hearts desire and often we sit and think just show me what you want me to do God, and I'll gladly do it. More times than not its the jouney that God gives us to arrive not the a-ha moment we end it with. So now I can see how those goals and that self evaluation is much more important than the process of checking them off a list.

Prayerfully consider writing some goals and either keep them out to view each day or put them away and visit much later to see the progress you're making. Either way we can see how life finds us or you can find the life that is in you!

No comments:

Post a Comment