Thursday, September 30, 2010

Are You Where You Planned To Be?

My father always says, “You don’t plan to fail, you just failed to plan.” There is a great deal of truth to this. As my last post says, writing your goals on paper not only helps to guide you but it brings forth fruit that you may not see otherwise.

Goals should be written in seven areas of achievement:
Financial
Physical
Personal Development
Family
Spiritual
Social
Careers

Seeking job opportunities and employment were concerns as well as my ability to balance the work and family needs. Financial challenges are a bit off kilter, and I was well aware that I needed to vent more physically to bring my tone back to a happy balance. Well, after several conversations with my pastors, the church leadership team and my husband I needed direction for all the opportunities that were coming my way. How could I determine which way to go? I went back to my goals I’d written this spring.

One perfect example is I had been praying for a role in our church leadership. I wasn’t too crazy about having to meet with council each month added to the leadership role, but I knew I was called into another avenue of ministry work. When my pastor approached me in a meeting I was excited and careful to stay in balance, so I agreed to consider it and get back to him.

Visiting my goals sheet for my spiritual area, I had written down my purpose was to be involved with our church and teach scripture. That confirmed teaching three and four year olds again this year for Sunday school. Then the second goal was to inspire men and women to study Gods word. How better to do it than become part of the Adult Small groups team. Remember my one concern to not attend council meetings in addition to team meetings, as a member I wasn’t committed to attend, just the chair person was. It completely aligned with my goals even better than I’d hoped. God worked out the details and I get the blessings. That is how good it can be to know the goals I’d set and then have them become a reality.

Many other areas are pushing me along to success as well. Pursuing my dream to write I created this blog. Studying methods and reading new ways to write, I was convicted that I needed to write something each day. It was required in order to achieve my dream, but it aligned with my earlier goal. I’m reading the personal development books (3 to be exact already done and its only end of September) and using that information to propel me into the next wave of achievement.

I’m physically benefiting from my goal of a healthier me now with an accountability partner. We determined to loose some weight and to feel better all around. 20 minutes a day exercising to start off and strengthen my core to help chronic back pain. Then I have to imagine the end result rather than torture myself when progress is slow and go easy on my eating vices of baked goods and sweets. Not cut myself off completely, I just toned it down some. 

So Dad, you can be proud that all those comments have been heard! All of us can see proof that a solid goal is worth the time and thought when you hit it straight on.

No comments:

Post a Comment